The Village of Chestnut Ridge
When the partners were asked to evaluate a new restaurant opportunity, RdM Architecture was there to support that effort with quick design, construction, schedule and financial services. An example of our IPD approach, success is evident on all levels as the project went from concept to opening in just over three months. At first glance, the 12,000 sf, two-story failed restaurant space, in a pleasingly historic building c.1888, appeared less than inviting and somewhat claustrophobic with dark tall back wood booths under a low hanging mezzanine, unfitting color patterns, and inexpensive contemporary lighting. Immediately the design team suggested removing the mezzanine to open up the space in pursuit of a bistro type atmosphere the may be found in Chicago or New York. Epic Chophouse quickly became an anchor to this historic downtown in Mooresville NC, Race City USA.
- Over 20 homes were designed to be versatile for single family living and multiple family rental potential
- Designs were created to accommodate being built into the side of the mountain with one story underground uphill and walk out basements on homes on the downhill side of the property
- Exterior materials were conceived to blend with mountain aesthetics and be contiguous with the areas environment
- Exterior materials were also specified based on minimal maintenance and green building qualifications
- Designs were required to include 2-car attached garage
- Site design and engineering required underground detention of 22,000 gallons for storm runoff protecting downhill neighborhoods from the negative effects of heavy rains